Thursday, December 31, 2015

One of my vices is vises: broom press, 1878



I photographed this broom press at a little hole-in-the-wall museum in the States a few years ago.  They had it labelled as a "broom vise."  It was designed to hold brooms in place so you could sew the bristles together. It had a patent date on it:


I looked it up when I got home, and voilĂ !  Patented by David Bard of Cincinnati, Ohio.  He assigned "one half of his right to George Flagg, of same place."  I wonder what that was about?


2 comments:

Tom Antrim said...

David Bard is my great grandfather and My grandmother wrote in her journal what happened to the press. There was an agreement that if any of the partners wanted out the other partner would buy them out so David ask for $300 and also received a couple presses. I saw one in Silver Dollar City in Branson and told the family history of the press the gentleman that owned and displayed it in his shop. I gave him the patent and David's application to him which he framed up and displayed on the wall. I would love to own one.

Anonymous said...

At email jrb571@outlook.com