Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Vanished Tool Brands: Krieger

I found this 15/16" X 1-1/16" open-end wrench last week:



(Update:  I found a second Krieger wrench, same size and model number, at a thrift store in December 2015).

A google search brought me to the Alloy Artifacts site, in my opinion the best web reference for histories on American-made hand tools.  They identify it as a Bonney Forge and Tool Works production, but they have only ever seen one example, a model 1032A with openings of 3/4" and 15/16".  Consequently, they wonder if their example was a one-off specialty production.  My wrench indicates otherwise.  It also shares the same Bonney "JU" production code, apparently dating it as 1943. Checking on the web, I also noted that someone was selling a Krieger  model 1040 wrench, size 1-1/4" X 1-5/8", so there clearly was a whole series of wrenches manufactured under this name.  Nothing else is known about how the name "Krieger" came to be stamped onto the wrenches.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

I found one of these today (3/13/16) in an antique mall in Lafayette CO

Anonymous said...

I bought a 1032a in Beaulieu England at an Autojumble 2 weeks ago...

Mario (from Germany)

Unknown said...

I found one today working on an old nyc building size 1 1/4 n 1 5/8